There is no explicit mention of the origins of AMT anywhere on the internet, but two-thirds of the way down Brian Meharg's About Me page there is a photo of his grandparents and this interesting sentence: "He (Hugh Meharg) arrived in Sydney in 1910 and met up with an evangelist (Mr Gerrard) and together with a horse drawn van and tent set about working their way north holding gospel meetings in the various towns they went through."
So indirectly AMT is there back in 1910 on the web! For the first volume of Australian Missionary Tidings, page 38, carries a letter from Mr Gerrard, written from Wollomombi near Armidale NSW telling of gospel work on village streets. And the Mr Meharg mentioned... he's the father of Ned Meharg, an AMT missionary to Bolivia (1951-1997).
Yes, AMT began in Sydney in 1910, the vision of four men from the assemblies there, as a service to missionaries and assemblies. Over the ensuing years it grew, expanded and moved. Moved with the times... and moved premises – relocating seven times to date. Initially the anticipated purpose of the organisation was to echo news or tidings out to faithful prayer partners. The first magazine cost one penny, issued from the first AMT office at 95 York Street, Sydney.
The vision quickly expanded as a wider mandate was given – so the third magazine reports that AMT additionally hoped to generate funds "which can be sent forward to the workers." Move one was late in AMT’s first year, for the address altered to 22 Young Street, Circular Quay, a site now occupied by the Inter-Continental Hotel in an AMP-owned building.
1913 saw a change back to York Street (Nos 50-54) for thirteen years, then in 1926 premises at 20a Goulburn Street were obtained in a part of the city that is today the centre of Chinatown. AMT settled down there for 40 years, but relocated again in the late 'sixties' (?1966) to 8 Oxford Street on the main route to Kings Cross. About this time (?1968) a house at 22 Chesterfield Road, Epping was bequeathed to AMT for use as a 'Missionary Home' – a place for accommodation and respite for furloughing missionaries. This proved useful and appreciated as an additional ministry offered by AMT to overseas workers.
The magazine remained Australian Missionary Tidings from 1910 to 1965, when the word 'Tidings' was made much more prominent on the cover than the other two. In 1970 the magazine name was changed to just Tidings.
ORGANISATION OF THE NATION
In 1971 AMT was formally constituted and incorporated as a company in the State of New South Wales, taking over the purposes and assets of the unincorporated association. Though Sydney-based, AMT’s ministries to missionaries and assemblies were used and respected nation-wide. But at that point in time, company law was a state jurisdiction. Today AMT reports to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), a national body.
AMT had been inner city for about sixty years, indicating the probable inner-city occupations of the honorary committee members. But prompted by the city council wishing to resume the Oxford Street site for development, the new management committee began to think of a suburban location. The siting of the office within the city was less important in an increasingly urbanised Australia – accessibility and proximity to voluntary labour seemed more important. In 1971, the Epping house was sold and a larger property at 15 Daisy Street, Chatswood acquired to serve jointly as missionary home and AMT office. However as demand upon the facilities increased and the office functions crowded the 'home', a nearby unit was added for transiting missionaries. 25 years were enjoyed at Chatswood.
Richard and Mavis Saxby joined the team at AMT in 1975. Past missionaries in Chad, Richard and Mavis were the first people to commit full-time to the work of AMT. Previously, all of AMT’s work had been undertaken by volunteers, mostly retired from active working lives. The Saxbys were the "younger helpers in the office and in associated work" (as they were called in Tidings 1975) that the administrators of AMT had been looking for. The arrival of the Saxbys in the office allowed AMT to expand its role beyond simply publishing a magazine and the distribution of gifts. The field experience of Richard and Mavis allowed them to have a close understanding of the diverse conditions in the various countries that Brethren workers were serving, and allowed AMT to better serve the needs of those overseas.